CALL FOR ENTRIES:
THE FIRST ANNUAL WILL GROSSMAN MEMORIAL PHOTO COMPETITION
Opening Date for the exhibition: Saturday, March 23, 2013, 6-8 PM
Selected works will be displayed through May 4, 2013.
The Will Grossman Photography Awards:
First Place $500, Second Place $250, Third Place $100
There will be additional prizes for Peoples Choice and Honorable Mention.
Winners will be formally announced at 7 PM the night of the opening reception.
Jurors for the competition:
- Tom Rankin, Director, Center for Documentary Studies, Duke University
- Kirston Johnson, Head of Moving Image and Documentary Arts at Duke Libraries
- Frank Konhaus, photographer and well-known collector
About the Award and Competition:
When Will Grossman, long time Durham resident, business owner, community activist and artist, passed away in 2012 his family and friends wanted to remember him and provide for the community through an artistic legacy. The generosity of many helped establish a fund to promote this event. A photo competition in Will Grossman’s name will be held each year in remembrance of him and his good work – and to promote photography in the Triangle.
- The theme of this year’s competition is The Triangle and may include any photographs made within the past five years in Durham, Orange, Chatham, Wake, Vance, Granville or Person counties. You may interpret the idea in any way you see fit, as long as the result is a photograph meeting the specifications below.
- Suggestions for topics have been offered by some contestants. If you need a suggestion for getting started, then think about people and places.
- Any photographic process or combination of processes may be used. Mixed media is allowed, as long as the photographic process is dominant.
- Deadline: Entries must be hand delivered to Through This Lens gallery at 303 East Chapel Hill Street, in downtown Durham during our normal hours from Tuesday, March 5 through Saturday March 9. Please do not bring entries in boxes or other wrappings. (We have insufficient space for storage of any packing materials.) You may include 1 sheet of corrugated cardboard about 2” larger than the framed art to be used as padding between framed work.
- Fees: There is a non-refundable entry fee of $30 for up to 3 pieces.
- Size & Framing: Work must be ready to hang, and matted to 16x20 inches. White mats and dark frames are suggested, but final choice is up to the artist.
- Sale of Work: Artists are encouraged to offer their work for sale. Please list the selling price on your entry forms. The gallery will retain 40% commission from any sales. Payment will be made to the artist within 10 days of the closing date of the exhibition.
- Liability: While all submissions will be handled with care, the competition board members, judges, Through This Lens, staff members or volunteers will not be responsible for loss or damage to any artwork or framing.
- Pick Up of Work: Work not selected for display must be picked up between 10:30 AM Tuesday, March 12 and 4 PM, Saturday, March 16, during normal gallery hours.
- Questions: Contact Roylee Duvall, director of Through This Lens, at 919.687.0250 or via a special email address set up for the competition: email@example.com with any questions.
>>>>>Entry Forms may be found here in PDF format<<<<<.
Please save to your computer, print, and fill out completely before you bring your work to the gallery. Payment must be made upon delivery of the work.